You are here
Peak flows and other information
Peak flow recording
You will be shown how to use a simple device known as a peak flow meter, and make measurements with it every two hours for about a month.
We appreciate that this requires quite a lot of work from you, but it is a very important test which helps us to reach a diagnosis in many cases.
- You can download the instructions for the self-measurement of peak flow readings in Word and PDF format
- You can download a useful form to write your peak flow readings and other important information in Word and PDF format
- You can bring this record to clinic with you or send us a copy in advance, either by e-mail or post (please keep a copy if you post it, in case we do not receive it)
Other specific investigations for Occupational Asthma
The following tests may be used in the assessment of suspected occupational asthma:
- Lung Function Tests - a description of testing procedures and preparation
- Skin prick testing – these are done in our Clinic; please contact Julie for more details
- Specific IgE measurement with occupational, exposure-specific allergen
- Occupational Inhalation Testing - patient information on a specific test used in the diagnosis and assessment of work-related airway or lung symptoms, which aims to recreate workplace exposures in a measurable, hospital setting
Other information about occupational lung disease
- Your Occupational Asthma - information for patients who have recently been diagnosed with occupational asthma
- Asbestos-related disease
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit – information from the Department of Work and Pensions on how to claim.