You are here
Information for healthcare professionals
How to make a referral
We need a referral letter from any healthcare professional including:
- occupational health advisors, nurses and physicians
- primary care nurses and general practitioners
- secondary care physicians, nurse specialists/consultants, physiotherapists and occupational therapists
- private physicians
- Email referrals: OLDadmin@rbht.nhs.uk
- Post referrals to: Occupational Lung Disease Service, Royal Brompton Hospital, Sydney Street, London SW3 6NP
Please ensure to include the following details about the referred patient so we can process your referral promptly (if sent by letter, please use NHS Trust/company headed notepaper, as appropriate):
- Patient’s full name
- NHS number
- Current address
- Telephone number
- GP details
- Copies of any relevant test data, including: spirometry, peak flows, imaging reports
If you unsure about a referral or have any queries about clinical cases or test results before making a referral to our service, you can contact our consultants Dr Johanna Feary and Dr Joanna Szram for advice by emailing OLDadvice@rbht.nhs.uk.
If you have any questions about how to make a referral, please email our administrative team at OLDadmin@rbht.nhs.uk
We aim to see referred patients within 8 weeks of receiving a referral. We will try to see more urgent cases as soon as possible (on request).
Patient NHS eligibility
Videos for patients and referrers
- We have made a short film for patients explaining what to expect from their clinic appointment [click on Vimeo [v] logo, bottom right of frame, to expand]:
If you have any feedback or suggestions, please let us know here.
- How to do spirometry - a short film without words:
without birthday hold screen -
- with birthday hold screen -
We are proud of our department’s reputation as a centre for training and education in Occupational and Environmental Lung Diseases. If you would like to discuss these with us, or arrange to visit us, please email OLDadvice@rbht.nhs.uk
We particularly welcome:
- Occupational health nurses and advisors
- Trainee doctors in allergy, occupational and respiratory medicine
We run courses and workshops to support health professionals involved in the care of individuals and workforces at risk of occupational lung disease.
Comments from referrers
"Clear opinion based on detailed assessment."
"Excellent, professional and unique service."
"I am very impressed with the service, and think your team are doing a fantastic job. Our clients whom we refer are also impressed."
"I have used the service regularly for a few years, and it has always been excellent."
"We are very happy with the service level we receive, and enjoy working with you all. Thank you."